We’re back to discuss the ongoing battle over the debt ceiling in this episode. We’ll review recent federal budgets and expenses and compare these numbers to recent history. We’ll also dive into the impact of the COVID-19 relief spending, address some concerns about inflation, and share our thoughts about this situation as a whole.
Additionally, Don will touch upon the Fear Index or VIX, which measures volatility in the stock market, and discuss its surprising low level despite the impending debt ceiling showdown. We’ll wrap up this episode by discussing the potential outcomes of this debate and talking about the political dynamics at play. Join us as we take a look at the financial challenges that lie ahead for the government and underscore the importance of finding a sustainable path forward.
Here’s some of what we discuss in this episode:
- What’s the recent debt ceiling update? [3:26]
- What’s driving the debates around this topic and what may occur in the next week. [5:35]
- U.S. spending since the pandemic. [7:28]
- Getting this spending back into check. [9:54]
- What is the “Fear Index” and how does it relate to all of this? [13:55]
- How people are spending money outside of Washington. [17:57]
If you have any questions about what we discussed in this episode, please reach out and we’d be happy to provide answers.